Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sifting through sand








A friend and I went to a speck of a town in South Carolina. Not much redemption, at least townwise. That is what I mean by sifting through sand. We went to check it out for her; I in my optimistic viewpoint knew there is always something redeming about a small town. As I said before, there wasn't much. Though we didn't take the time to explore the waterways; it looks like a fantastic kayaking place there was a couple of funny moments at my own expense.

We would be sitting at the great little fish store G's friends have, watching the locals and what not. One came in to sit and talk with us. His southern accent was so thick I barely understood him, I would look at him and say "Sorry?" so often he slowed down in talking and looked at me like I was stupid. I could only laugh about it as I realized I didn't understand their slang and twang. When asked what his priorities in life were; he enunciated quite well, "fishing, God, fishing, family, fishing, work, fishing." Who could ask anything more?

That afternoon after a well deserved nap we went to a nearby town called Camden. Exquisite little town. I was playing with my new camera and didn't get as many shots as I wanted, but it was nice. I think I almost became an enemy of the state when our hotel desk clerk had told me proudly how they took part in the Reveloutionary war and have homes from the 1700's. I looked at her strangely and said; "Is that all?" she looked shocked until I answered, "Where I come from we have homes from the 14 and 1500's. These must be pretty modern." Not surprising, she wasn't interested in where I came from. She kinda sniffed at G when she told her.

But here's Camden, a little twisted but cute. Oh and the house is a REPLICA of a 1700's very rich mans house.



No comments: