Wednesday, December 19, 2007

S...heros

The other day Michael gave me a book (as one of his 12 days of Christmas gifts), on Mary Colter. He knew she was one of my new found heros. An exceptional woman of the late 1800's to early 1900's. Architecture for Hurst and The Fred Harvey company; many of her creations exist today in the Grand Canyon. Her vision was out of the box in the concept of using the surroundings and history to be. An exacting woman, strong in her convictions and and talents. Similar to another one of my heros Mary Cassatte, an artist from the Impressionist. Both women perservered beyond the constraints of their social environments to have their names whispered in awe. At least by me.
I was talking with one of our bellpersons, (she), and I were talking about sheros. The one question I asked we both contemplated and could not answer: Were these women full filled without a partner? (At least one that isn't mentioned in the history books.) This led to further questions in my mind. Can a successful woman (success is determined by doing what she wants and loves and still living comfortably from), be full filled and still have a life partner? Two people do come to my mind, the author Nora Roberts and my sister-friend Terry. I'm sure there are more out there; is there anyone who wants to add to this list?

1 comment:

MJ said...

We each choose, consciously or unconsciously, the level we perceive to be what is fulfilled. So that being subjective makes it difficult to answer such an individual question. Your 2 examples have professional success, but is there personal success? That is in the eyes of the beholder. When you find your own inner comfort, there will be an easier attainability for outer involvement and success/fulfillment in all aspects of your life. You tend to divide the two, keeping your heart seperate and safe, or so you think... it is a constant banter between out hearts and our heads. Good luck and safe passage on your journey!